Wednesday, January 18, 2012

GO AHEAD, STEAMPUNK ME, PUNK!

When exactly did I hear about STEAMPUNK?  I don't remember, but I know the term stuck, and by that point I was too far gone on the amazing visuals.  What is it?  It's the baby you'd get if you crossed H.G. Wells, Jules Verne (as mothers) and the art of H.R. Giger (as father).  It's deliciously dark, anachronistic and tubular, and GIZMOLOGY crazy, which is what attracts me to it like a bug to those blue light zappers.  You see it everywhere these days, in art, jewelry, Hollywood movies, EVERYWHERE.  It's taking over, and I am happy about it.  I think it's a fun aesthetic, and certainly a style that keeps my noggin A-CRANKIN!

I guess it's would have saved the Victorians and spiced up their fucked up world even more than it already was.  Even in many recent books, the trend is to go back and FRANKENSHSTEIN-FY the work.  My pronunciation is an homage to one of my favorite comedies, you know the one:  FRAU BLUCHER!  And the horse neighs!

I think it's this kind of grafting and funking that makes it so exciting.  It's been trickling down quickly ever since Jim "Hollywood" Fernandez turned a 49 Mercury into a now infamous car model called "BAD PENNY" and it's been nothing but elation and delight since.  If you've never seen Hollywood's work, then you should.  Here's the link to the steps he took to build it: http://public.fotki.com/shrimpee/my_model_cars/familypics/

It's a great time to be a model builder, to share your work and imagination with others.  Technology has really brought us closer together, and instantly you can tune in to see what so many wonderful builders are working on.  This is true of all genres in art.  Welcome to the revolution!  Now build something!

No comments:

Post a Comment